ABTA 38 Years | Mon - Fri: 9am to 5:30pm | Sat: 9am to 5pm | Sun & Bank Holidays: 10am to 4:00pm

0800 707 6229

How a No-Deal Brexit Will Affect Travel – The Facts

With a little over 100 days to go until we leave the EU on March 29th next year, there is still a considerable amount of uncertainty with regard to how our exit will affect us.  There is, however, more certainty in some areas than perhaps many people realise.  Nowhere is this more so than in the case of overseas travel.  We’ve all seen or heard predictions of flights being grounded in the case of a no-deal Brexit, and of queues a mile long for passport checks, but none of this is true – it is scare-mongering of the highest order.

If a deal is reached between now and the end of March, then we shall feature details on how it will affect holidays on our website accordingly.  But it’s important to understand how overseas travel will be affected in the immediate aftermath of a worst case scenario of a no-deal Brexit.  So, if we leave the EU on March 29th without a deal…

Will flights still operate?

Yes.  It has already been agreed that UK airlines will be able to operate flights between the UK and EU, and similarly that EU airlines will continue to operate as before.

Will I need a visa to travel to the EU?

No.  A visa will not be required for UK citizens travelling to the EU.  Similarly, visas will not be required for EU citizens wishing to travel to the UK. 

Will my passport be accepted?

Yes.  The only advice that the government have given here is that you should have at least 6 months left on your passport from your date of arrival, excluding any ’extra’ months that were added the last time you renewed your passport.  And don’t wait until the last minute to renew your passport.

What will happen if I want to drive in the EU?

You will need an International Driving Permit.  There is a cost involved – currently £5.50 – and they are available from the AA, the RAC and an increasing number of Post Offices.  You may need more than one permit to comply with the law.  You will also need a Green Card in order for your car insurance to be applicable in the EU.  These are available from your insurer (an administration fee may apply).

Will I still be able to use my European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)?

No.  If we leave the EU without a deal, then the EHIC card will no longer be valid.  We always recommend that you take out adequate travel insurance that includes appropriate medical cover.

Can I take my pet abroad?

Yes, but the documents and requirements that need to be met would most likely change.  Please discuss this matter with an Official Veterinarian at least four months before your date of travel.

What will happen to data roaming charges?

At the moment, data roaming charges are the same within the EU as they are within the UK.  This would not be the case if we left without a deal.  Having said that, some providers have already indicated that they may continue to offer this benefit to their customers.  Please check with your mobile phone provider before you travel.

What will happen if my holiday cannot go ahead?

In the extremely unlikely event that your holiday cannot go ahead because of Brexit, then you would receive a full refund of all monies paid, provided that you have booked a package holiday.  All package holidays are protected under the Package Travel Regulations, which are enshrined within UK law.  Any holiday booked with a UK agent or tour operator enjoys the most comprehensive consumer protection.

We live in interesting times, but we hope that the above gives you reassurance that any holidays that you’ve booked for 2019 will almost certainly operate as planned.  And if you haven’t yet booked your 2019 holiday, we hope that these facts in the event of a no-deal Brexit will give you the confidence to go ahead and book your holiday.  If you have any queries whatsoever, do not hesitate to contact us on 0121 213 0012 or [email protected] and we will do our utmost to help you.

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Get The Latest Offers

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.